Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Notes on Kid Nation, episode 3 -

(SPOILERS!!!!)


- The kids who are not hamming it up from the camera and falling between the cracks are probably having a blast. They're just avoiding the nonsense. Wasn't there a kid with a mohawk at some point?

- CBS got kids who were old and young, rich and poor, black and white, and everything in between. They were apparently, however, unable to find any ugly children.

- PREDICTION: 15-year-old bruiser Greg will walk out of Kid Nation with a gold star.

- I watched the show with my friend Adam, who theorized that the Indian team leader who never gets any face time is in fact a 30-year-old man with an Andy Milonakis-esque disease.

- I missed episode 2, but I'm pretty sure Taylor use the phrase "President George Bush" both tonight and on the premiere. According to the website, she's from Georgia.

- Speaking of the queen of the yellow team, moments like Taylor crying when everyone said she was doing a bad job are the reason I watch Kid Nation.

- Taylor caught a lot of shit at the town meeting this week, but councilman Mike is obviously in way over his head. Mike talks a big game about building a society, but when forced to choose between 40 pizzas or a microwave he argued "This town NEEDS pizza." When the other leaders pointed out that the town wants pizza but needs a microwave, Mike pointed out that the other kids were chanting for pizza. In a very adult moment, he asked "What are we going to do when we pick the microwave and everyone's groaning?"

- After the kids chose the microwave, the host should have poured gasoline all over the pizza and burned it in front of their eyes.

- PREDICTION: The season finale of Kid Nation will have so many slow motion montages it will slow down time itself.

- I don't think any other kids will elect to go home. Well, maybe Mike. Mike's such a tragic figure. I hate him and pity him at the same time. He wears a cowboy hat well though, I have to give him that.

- I wish there was a shot with a camera man in it, so I could get a real feel for what their world is really like.

- Do you think there was any hooking up in Bonanza Creek? Many of these kids are 14 and 15. Women love a jerk like Greg.

- CBS must think we think the kids are morons. When a kid says something obvious, they treat it like an accomplishment. While debating about the pizza vs. the microwave, CBS helpfully cut to fan-favorite Jared explaining "We can use the microwave to easily reheat things." I know they understand. They're kids, they're not idiots.

9 comments:

amandalynferri said...

my favorite thing about the first episode when they said "rich or poor" is that they looked directly at one child for rich and then did a crowd shot for poor.

Dewey said...

Does anyone notice that when the kids have a little "off time," like in the evenings at the Bonanza Ranch, all they want to do is drink soda at the bar like they are boozing it up! They even do soda shots and chug contests. I don't care too much, but where did they learn that stuff! Plus, you know one of those 14-15yr old kids has weed.

Anonymous said...

What the fuck is wrong with Georgia?

Anonymous said...

For me the most enjoyable part of Kid Nation is the almost immediate signs of societal breakdown.for example in the first day the lower class green team reverts to street performing and eventually pan handling.Then in the second episode the ulitmate sign of social upheaval shows its ugly face in the form of an ugly faced hippie trying to stage a sit in to save chickens

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the hiring process was for the camera operators of this show. They just keep filming when the ten-year-old stares down the bull. I thought for sure he was going to get gored. At no point did the cameraman point out to the kid the danger involved. If makes for great television

Anonymous said...

dont you EVER talk about my dick without my permission!!

sarah schneider said...

I am VERY intrigued by what the rest of the kids are doing while the show focuses on the most prominent 10 or so. They need to get more face time! There is a chick there that has half black and half pink hair whose angst I would REALLY love to see.

Greg definitely has a star coming to him, and I also predict Morgan getting a star. Other potential winners: Colton and Zach.

Also, who's up for a Jared spin-off?

Anonymous said...

You know what I think about everytime I watch that show..? Jebus, these kids have yet to take a bath. Their hair is all matted and they sleep in their clothes (coats and all). During the day these kids are running around elbow dropping sheep like the Macho Man, then they go to bed in their own filth.
I'm not asking for bathing shots, just TELL us they are getting cleaned up because they sure don't look like it. They look like I smelled the summer I hit puberty but hadn't discovered deodorant yet.

Anonymous said...

Im sure they have hookups if i was there id be with greg.

but they just dont show it.

-aly