Thursday, October 18, 2007

Notes and Observations on Kid Nation, Episode 5

(SPOILERS !)

- I've got two "I told you so"s: 1) Greg finally got his gold star. The producers have been teasing it every week, and I'm glad this storyline is finally out of the way. 2) I thought councilman Mike was in over his head, but I was apparently underestimating the problem. In the past I've criticized Kid Nation for lacking teeth, but the scene where Mike failed to receive a single vote but his own was brutal. He answered his own question when, through tears, he asked why nobody had voted for him.

- Gunyan (Guynan? Something like that) - you kept quiet the first few weeks so I don't have a read on you yet. I'm watching.

- CBS is trying to make "deal with it" a catchphrase. I don't think it's happening. Deal with it.

- If the kids didn't go for the BBQ, they are never going to take the instant gratification prize.

- Why didn't they just let the kids have toothpaste from the beginning? This isn't Survivor.

- PREDICTION: The previously anonymous girl that called George Bush stupid will recede to the shadows and never be heard from again.

- The best shot every week is when the host rings his bell and the kids make a mad dash to get to him first. The whole sequence is equal parts Pied Piper and It's A Mad Mad Mad World.

- Bonanza Creek apparently does have one rule from the adults - always wear a bandanna with your team's color. Doesn't matter how you do it, just get it done.

- This week's challenge was particularly boring, even by reality TV challenge standards.

- I didn't write about Kid Nation last week, but I love it when a kid elects to leave. Everyone acts sad, but I bet after the on-camera goodbye hugs the producers take him behind the barnyard and bury him in an unmarked grave.

- My gold star of the week goes to the kid who pogo sticked all over Taylor's poster.

P.S. - Maybe I watch too many shows starring kids, but have you guys seen the new season of Degrassi? That show's slogan is "It goes there," and they fucking mean it. (vague spoiler) The most recent tragedy to befall a student at Degrassi High is two things they've done before combined, with an additional third thing I believe is new. It's a top 5 "goes there" moment for sure.

P.P.S. Is anyone interested in Notes and Observations on Degrassi? I usually fall behind watching that show, so I'd probably always be a few weeks late. Let me know in the comments or by e-mail. I'd love to do it, so if there's even a passing interest in delayed, in-depth Degrassi coverage I'll probably go for it.

4 comments:

Chad said...

yes. do it. please.

Anonymous said...

Totally do Degrassi.
You can watch it online even, so no excuse for late reviews!

Anonymous said...

i love this, and i LOVE kid nation. please do one for every episode. i'm a bit surprised you didn't mention how creepy the scene where greg comforted the 9-year-old was. he even had a surprised look on his face when he saw the camera.

Anonymous said...

hahaha, picture: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/kid_nation/images/gallery/kn_105_061.jpg