Sunday, November 11, 2007

This week's 30 Rock was particularly strong, and likely the best comedy to on TV since Arrested Development was canceled. This post nicely sums up what made it so great, and calls attention to one particular joke that went down like a classic Simpsons gag (though I thought it seemed more Homer than Lenny).

30 Rock is obviously connected to Arrested Development on the style-of-comedy family tree, but I hadn't thought about the similarities to the prime years of The Simpsons until just now. The subtitles on Cerie's cousins were a little racier than anything that would have happened in Springfield, but still carry The Simpsons' trademark double-zag.

Comparing something to classic Simpsons is about the highest compliment I am capable of giving, but 30 Rock is really running on full steam now.

I think it's the thing I'll miss most if the writer's strike continues into next year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my favorite part of the episode was the flashback of kenneth in an austin powers costume, and liz in a harry potter costume, jamming to "werewolf bar mitzvah". i almost choked on my iced tea.

out of curiosity, what do you think of the office (either version)?

Anonymous said...

i think fans of arrested development should really check out How i Met Your Mother. Probably THE most underrated show on tv. Hilarious to watch and its a sitcom which is hard feat since most aren't funny.

Steve said...

I love 30 Rock but right now I'm liking It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia the most this season.